Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When your home or business is damaged by a fire, there is usually an equal amount of damage caused from the smoke and also water damaged caused by firefighting efforts to extinguish the fire itself. SERVPRO of North Anchorage technicians are trained in fire and water damage restoration and mitigation. We have the proper training and certifications, equipment, and a staff that is ready to respond 24/7/365. Our technicians will walk you through each step and restore your home to the pre-fire conditions. Although this is a stressful time for the home or business owners, we will do everything we can to make this process easy for you and your family.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (907) 688-3001
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.